Preparation & Aftercare For Your Eyebrow Treatment
You will achieve much better results if you prepare your skin for your Permanent Makeup procedure. The area must be healthy, strong, non-sensitive and non-irritated.
Anticoagulants lengthen the time it takes your blood to clot. Anti-platelet drugs, such as aspirin and Ibuprofen prevent your blood from clotting, causing the treatment area to bleed more, the pigment will be pushed out of the skin, causing a risk of over working the skin and will be less comfortable.
- Do not drink alcohol 24 hours before your tattoo
- Do not consume coffee/tea/herbal tea before your procedure
- Do not take any aspirin or ibuprofen for pain relief (this thins the blood)
- Please, no makeup on the day of treatment. Extra time spent removing makeup means less time for the treatment.
Here’s how to get your skin ready your procedure:
- Exfoliate your brow area the night before your treatment to remove any dead skin which will help pigment retention.
- Do not pluck, wax, thread or tint your brows for up to 3 days before your brow treatment.
- Do not tan two weeks prior or have sunburned face
- Do not work out the day of the procedure (excessive oils in the skin can prevent the pigment from retaining).
- Do not have Botox 3 weeks prior (can effect symmetry).
To Minimise Discomfort:
- Try to get a good night sleep before your treatment this will help you relax and make the treatment more comfortable.
- Drink lots of water- before and during the session – this allows the skin to accept the ink more easily, without thinning the blood.
On the day:
- Have a good breakfast on the day of your treatment, this increases your stamina as treatments like Permanent Makeup burn a lot of calories.
- Paracetamol reduces pain and helps reduce inflammation so if your worried take two before or after your treatment.
A variety of products will come into contact with the skin during the treatment including , wax pencil, baby wipes, cling film, latex gloves, numbing cream, pigment. I have never seen an allergic reaction to any of these but please be prepared to declare all allergies before your treatment as I can then use an alternative product where possible.
I use Pre-numb creams and numbing products throughout your treatment to ease any discomfort, this only lasts around 20-40 minutes. Soon after your treatment the area may feel sensitive or bruised. I recommend applying a dry ice pack or ice wrapped in paper towels or a tea towel to reduce any swelling and soothe the area. Paracetamol will ease any discomfort but avoid Ibuprofen for around 6 hours as this could cause the area to swell.
Other things to consider:
Pigment stains – I recommend wearing dark tops where possible.
I don’t have much space in my treatment room so please limit to 1 friend or family member joining you where possible.
My treatment room is cleaned before and after every procedure I consider it a sterile environment so do not allow pets (other than Assistant Dogs for disabled).
After Your Brow Treatment
It is essentially relaxing and do nothing!
It is important not to pick at the flaky/dry skin. The flaky skin need to shed naturally. It is very important to keep your newly shaded SPM clean.
- Do not rub skin when washing your face for at least seven days
- Do not pick or scratch tattooed area.
- Avoid for 1 week: hot, steamy, long shower
- Do not get any chemicals on the area at least four weeks.
- Avoid topical makeup including sunscreen on the area until fully healed.
- Avoid hot, sweaty exercise for two week
- Stay out of chlorinated pools, seawater, sunbeds, spa, jacuzzi or saunas for at least four weeks.
- Do not use antibiotic ointment or anything else during healing.
- The tattooed area will be dark for the first several days and will fade. While healing, the tattoo will look spotty.
- Gently wash your eyebrows each morning and night. With a very light touch, use your fingertips to gently cleanse the eyebrows. Gently apply to the area in a smooth, stroking motion for 10 seconds and rinse with water ensuring that all soap is rinsed away. To dry, gently pat with a clean tissue. DO NOT use any cleansing products containing acids (glycolic, lactic, or AHA), or any exfoliates.
- Avoid sleeping on your face for the first 5-10 days
- Wear a hat when outdoors.
Do not be alarmed by fading after the first application. The final color cannot be judged until at least 4 weeks after the touch-up applications are completed. This is the reason follow-ups are required.
Limit your showers to 5 minutes so you do not create too much steam. Keep your face out of the water while you wash your body, then, at the end of your shower, wash your hair. Your face should only be getting wet at the very last end of the shower. Avoid excessive rinsing and hot water on the treated area.
What to expect:
Your eyebrow treatment will look darker for the first few days, as the top layers of skin come away the pigment can seem a lot lighter, but will then come through. As the pigment ages it is common to notice the colour change, sometimes the tone can seem cooler other times it can look warmer, it is important to return with 1-3 years for a colour boost treatment to restore the colour.
But remember everyone heals differently!
The second part of your procedure should be booked between 4-8 weeks after your first.
Once healed your Micropigmentation should last 1-3 years dependant on your skin and lifestyle.
REMEMBER: You are unable to donate blood for up to 12 months following Micropigmentation Procedure